Tuesday, January 15, 2008

New for 2008

Love this from Psalm 70 today...may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who love your salvation always say, "Let God be exalted!"

Our small group is taking a stand against complaining this week, based on the book we're studying called "Anxious for Nothing" by John McArthur. It's amazing once you say "I'm not going to complain anymore" what happens...I believe our permanently-defeated enemy enjoys the fight and starts creating new potential reasons for complaining. he (no capital letter for the enemy) is the father of lies and also the father of complaining/whining. The Holy Spirit of course timed that study perfectly for me, as I had slipped into a nasty cycle of whining about health insurance and financial issues. It's such an egregious thing to whine & complain in the face of such abundant blessing. (See former Israelite complainers dead on the sand.)

Psalm 70 tells me to be glad in the Lord, and to always exalt Him. So I think the oft-learned rule takes over...instead of concentrating on not complaining, I'm going to focus on thanking and exalting God.


On a lighter note, turns out, I'm really good at Guitar Hero. ;) It's so much fun, but I think I know why God has me leading worship in an a cappella setting!

Where I would be (besides Indy) if I could be anywhere else right now: DETROIT! why, you say? www.naias.com

4 comments:

jaime s said...

I don't know...I think it'd be great to hear "Great is thy Faithfulness" with an electric guitar accompanyment (sp?).

You rocked that game. It was quite impressive!

Jerri said...

I agree with you about the whining and complaining. I'm really "good" at whining--I used to tell my boys that I didn't understand "whining" language...and that I'd rather be pecked to death by a duck than listen to whining. (That usually made them laugh instead of whine.)
When I hear myself griping and complaining, sometimes I listen to myself and I can't even stand me! So I can imagine how God feels....listening to all of us! And when I read Exodus about God's response to whiners, I get scared into submission! We miss you guys!
Don and I have been singing with the singers sometimes, and we are having fun. Your family is beautiful! God bless you all! Jerri

Eco said...

If only I'd known you were such a car junkie a few years ago. I grew up in Detroit -- my dad worked for GM for 36 years, the first half of that designing concept cars featured in the Detroit auto show and the second half as the director of public relations for the western division (everything west of Detroit, based in L.A.) so talking to the press about the cars. But he retired two years ago and my parents moved here to Searcy. I have fond memories of attending the show with him before it was open to the public and getting to see all the fun shows and meet the designers, etc. Anyway, if you are a true car geek, you should brave the city of Detroit and all it has to offer and go one year -- there's nothing else like it and the D.C. auto show doesn't even begin to compare!

Erin Cox (Ed and Ozela's daughter-in-law)
www.erinlcox.wordpress.com

John Vaught said...

Murray, I don't really believe that you can go a week without complaining! In fact, I thought I would test it by actually writing something on your blog, and then watch as you complain because I wrote on your blog. Drop me a note sometime, bro

vaughts.blogspot.com