Monday, October 02, 2006

Jesus on worship...

WWJD?

try this one...

HWJW? (How would Jesus worship?)

Yeah, I don't think it'll catch on either.

Jesus doesn't say a whole lot on the subject of worship. I wish he had said more.

One of his main teachings on worship emerges out of a conversation that culturally shouldn't have happened in the noonday sun with a woman at a well.

His closing statement from John 4:24...
"God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."

In my life, I've invested a lot of time studying what the apostle Paul says about worship. Not a bad thing, I've just not given Jesus much air-time in how I've sought to understand worship. I plan to change that.

Father, thank you for seeking worshippers, and for helping us know what's important about the way we worship through Jesus. Thank you also for not spelling everything out (Leviticus) line by line; you know how we obsess and misinterpret and misapply...

Thank you for making us spiritual beings whose deepest longings are all met in you, a Father who is Spirit.

I don't understand it, but I love it! Come, Holy Spirit!

1 comment:

jaime s said...

Great thoughts! Hard to put into words but somehow, you manage to do so beautifully!

JS