Thursday, March 01, 2007

Rich Man who went away sad...or eventually glad?

I read today the story in Mark 10 about the rich man who kept all the commandments and still wanted to know if there was anything else he should/could to to inherit eternal life...it always makes an impact on me.

Did he only go away sad, or did he go away sad at first, then to proceed to do what Jesus said? Most scholars say no, because he was sad, and that surely meant he had no intention of doing it. Or what about Jesus' statement as he walked off...how hard it is for the rich to capture the meaning of KINGDOM. Did that mean the rich man was never going to "get it"?

I just want to throw out the option that the man DID INDEED turn his life more toward God at this point. Yes, he was sad as he parted with things, property, etc. to share with others. But his earthly sadness could have yielded to a much more mature, deeper joy as he released the tight grip he had on his own obedience, his own wealth, his own ACTIONS to earn God's favor...maybe he realized the joy and grace of living in a totally surrendered, simple lifestyle.

I'm not a rich man by Fairfax County standards, but globally, I am rich. Extremely rich. Can I turn away from Christ's pervasive call on my life, my finances? Can I share in Christ's vision of the Kingdom of God? Will I experience a Godly sorrow that leads to repentance? Or will I just get sad?

Turn our mourning into dancing, Lord, as we discover each day how to give ourselves away.

No comments: