Monday, April 23, 2007

A note to the Fairfax Church of Christ from the Sanderson family…

We've recently embarked on an excited study of the book of Romans on Sunday mornings...this scripture on worship & God's will seems appropriate for the occasion.

Romans 12:1-2

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Over the last few months, Jaime & I have been earnestly trying to test and approve what God’s will is for our lives.

After much prayer and consideration, we feel that God is calling us to a new church home where we can be closer to family. In July, I will begin my work with the North Central Church of Christ in Indianapolis as their Worship & Administration Minister.

From the time we left Dallas and transitioned to northern Virginia back in the fall of 2003, you have been our family. Even though we were brand new here, 3 elders along with Bruce & Jeannette attended our wedding in Nashville on Valentines Day 2004. (Bill & Nancy McKevley actually drove down to Nashville with our wedding cake in the back of their truck!! They got stuck in a snowstorm on the way back...ask them for details.) When God brought our baby girl to us in the fall of 2005, you were there to celebrate with us as well. There have been countless times over the past three and a half years that we have experienced God’s goodness to us by His placing us in this body of Christ.

When God made us aware of this opportunity, we felt the time could be right to make a transition, especially as our family grows from 3 to 4. Jaime and I have made it a top priority to have her stay at home with our kids, and the cost of living in this area is not cooperating with that priority, even though the elders are generous with me in every way. Additionally, Jaime’s family lives in the Indianapolis area, and will be a great source of support for us.

Worshipping God with all of you has been such a blessing to me and my family; we will always cherish our time at Fairfax. Spiritually, we have grown immensely under Bruce’s preaching, the elders’ leadership and through our small group studies. And for Faith, I don’t know if she’ll ever find a Bible teacher that can hold a candle to Mrs. Belknap.

Our hope and prayer is that you’ll continue showing Jesus to each other and to lost people, and continue worshipping God joyfully, in spirit and in truth.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Murray, I was so sad to hear that you and Jaime were leaving Fairfax and wouldn't be there the next time I come to visit!! I do, however, completely understand the decision making process full of prayer that you have gone through and I know how nice it will be for Jaime to be near family with two little kiddos. I know you are always so busy when you make trips to Dallas, but I hope we will be able to catch up with you guys one of these times. We love and miss you two and wish you the very best!! Indianapolis doesn't know how lucky they are!!

Kelli said...

i mirror jill's sentiments! we will miss seeing you when we come home and rachel will miss playing with her friend faith!! we wish you all the best though and hope we will get to see you again soon. :)

Jonathan said...

Murray,

Wow, great news in many respects! I will be sorry for Fairfax's loss though, I know they have benefited greatly from you and Jaime.

Amy and I visited the North Central congregation back in December, just to "get away" for a weekend, and because any place that Steven Bruce went must be a good place. :-) We thoroughly enjoyed our visit there that Sunday morning. Lots of good things and great potential with that family.

So hey, we'll be close enough to each that we could do lunch occasionally or something! Or maybe I could take a vacation Sunday and *finally* come see you lead worship. You know, I don't think I've seen you lead a worship service since you took the job at Fairfax... I had only been down for holiday times and weren't able to catch a Sunday, or something.

Now, I do have to admit that at least a small part of me is wondering if Fairfax will be accepting applications soon... Although it would be really hard for me to decide to leave the family at Turner Road Church. I've grown to love them so much!

Anyway, many blessings to you and your family as you prepare for the move. Hope to see you soon!
-JP

Elaine said...

Brother Murray,

I am happy and sad. You, Jaime, and Faith are indeed part of the Fairfax family, and you always will be. We wouldn't be very nice if we refused to share you and your gift of worsihp with others. Don't think for a moment that we won't come visit you there, either.

You have brought us so much through your friendship and genuine love for what you do. You teach us to open our hearts and really think about what it is we are giving back to the Lord, in spirit and in truth.

Thank you, Sandersons! I pray that you are blessed in ways you cannot imagine in Indy. I'll miss you!!!