Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Note from Christian Chronicle Editor

I've posted multiple times about my frustration with the extensive ads placed in the Christian Chronicle boasting that a cappella singing is the only scriptural way to worship God.

Well, the Chronicle recently asked my congregation if we would be making our annual contribution and that gave me a chance to voice my concern, and say NO, we would not be offering them support any longer since they seem to be amenable to running such divisive ads.

I am VERY PLEASED to post this note that I received today from Lynn McMillon, the editor of Christian Chronicle...and I shall resubscribe to the paper, cautious but optimistic about their tone on the subject of instruments in worship. (Please note that I lead worship for an a cappella church, and am so thankful for my a cappella heritage. I just refuse to teach it as the only scriptural way, or the way that God is most pleased with...that is heresy and represents a very divisive way of thinking/acting.)

Dear Murray,
Thank you for your recent note regarding the music ad in the paper. I understand your frustration and wanted you to know that I have decided not to run that type of thing in the future. Please note the editorial this month that explains the change. In the meantime I have attached the new policy and the editorial for you. If you would like to discuss it further please let me know. Be assured that I do understand. I hope that you might give us another chance.

Lynn McMillon, CEO/Editor

1 comment:

Odgie said...

Good for McMillon, and thank you for articulating the position that so many of us hold.