Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Heart of Worship - a new idea?

Exodus 25:1 says… 1 The LORD said to Moses, 2 "Tell the Israelites to bring me an offering. You are to receive the offering for me from each man whose heart prompts him to give."

I love this little phrase from Ex. 25…”whose heart prompts him to give”. Sometimes I think we envision the OT being about law, and the NT being about heart. We got it wrong there; that’s a gross oversimplification. God always wanted our hearts…He always wanted a relationship with his children. He expressed it beautifully and plainly in both testaments.

The new-ish worship song “The Heart of Worship” seems to be expressing what so many in our congregation feel right now. I say that based on the response to the song the two times we’ve sung it in the past 3 months. (overwhelming, enthusiastic participation followed by positive comments post-Sunday)

It's cool to know that God has always wanted a heart of worship from his children…even back to the very beginning…that’s not an idea from a modern day songwriter, it’s a desire of God from the beginning of creation.

So worship on, and tune in to your heart! It’s ok to do that!

(and let me just say I'm learning lessons every day about obedience and discipline as we work with Faith on obeying us around the house...like not touching the electric outlets (even though they're safely plugged with a plastic insert)...she'll do that sometimes even in spite of me breathing down her neck saying, "no touch, no touch". It breaks my heart when she deliberately disobeys, but only in a minuscle amount compared to what God's gone through with me, no doubt.)

No comments: