Monday, February 12, 2007

What's "old" to you?

"I wish we sang more of the older hymns"...we can do that. But FXCC is made up of people from across the country who are transferring here for a short duration, and what is 'old, familiar and encouraging' to you may be perfectly unknown to many others.

For example, I grew up singing the OLD communion hymn "In Memory of the Savior's Love", a beautifully, musically-sound hymn to set our minds on the Lord's Supper. The first Sunday I led that at FXCC, you would have thought I was speaking in tongues. What was old to me was obviously not old to many at FXCC.

So let me know what you mean by older hymns, and we can work it out! Thanks to Jerry, Alice, Kathy and Melissa who have been very good about requesting hymns that mean a lot to them.

By the way, the response to the congregational survey was outstanding...we ran out of Scantron forms! A great problem to have...Thanks to the VMV team for crafting and conducting such a thorough survey. May God receive the glory as we fine tune our activities and leadership strategies to more gloriously accomplish Matthew 28:19-20.

We had a great attendance yesterday as well, praise God. The singing was incredible, and I'm not paying myself a compliment b/c as you could tell if you were there, I've got a horrible cold...but you all sang out so strongly! What a joy.

On a minor chord, we were $10,000 under budget yesterday...let's keep on digging deep for God's work at FXCC.

Thanks for your concern & prayers for Jaime...we're hoping that kidney stone has passed, but the after-pain still continues. We're hoping to see the doc today. When I first called to make the appt, the secretary said, "our 1st available is Feb 20th", I should have said, "It's obvious you've never had a kidney stone!" She quickly got a nurse on the phone when I further explained the situation....

Have a great day in the Lord, and bring on the snow!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Funny you should write about this...Tim and I recently visited a church in the area and they were learning some "new" songs. I was shocked at what they considered "new" because I sang many of them when in junior high. The song leader (no worship minister there) did say that by "new" he meant in the last 20 years or so! We sang "The Steadfast Love of the Lord," "Shout to the Lord," "Lord, Be There," "We Will Glorify," etc. You get the picture! Needless to say, we won't be placing membership at this church. Miss all of you at FXCC!