Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Reply from Christian Chronicle

Earlier in the week I posted about my frustration with a full-page ad appearing in the current issue of Christian Chronicle.

I shared my frustration with Bobby Ross, editor of the paper. We had a good email exchange that was followed by a good telephone conversation.

To sum it up, the board of Christian Chronicle was already slated to review their policy on "adver-torials" at the October 2007 board meeting. The ad I questioned was not the first one to raise the ire of subscribers. Bobby said they receive numerous complaints throughout the year from people at various places on the long continuum of people in churches of Christ. It seems no one likes advertising or advertorials that bespeak ideas foreign to their own theology.

I like the paper, and I'll continue taking it. In this issue, there's a solid article covering Graham Kervin's mission team in Olomouc, CR...and there are always newsy tidbits of what's going on in other churches across the world. So the good being done by the paper far outweighs the few negative advertorials, to be sure.

And I'm learning to frame my frustration with this a cappella vs. instrumental issue. I'm learning that if I want our movement to move past it (which means many things...remaining happily a cappella as a matter of choice not doctrine, or integrating instruments in a meaningful and encouraging way that never drowns out the voices) , then maybe I should set an example, and do just that...move on.

From time to time, people will assert views such as the ad in the current issue. Or someone may start a discussion about which version is scripturally sound, KJV, NIV or RSV. Or someone may question whether we should use 8 song leaders or one song leader. It's my responsibility as a follower of Christ to expend my energies on issues Christ was passionate about, and to kindly smile and move away from debates and arguments about such things.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

great thoughts.....but easier said than done! :-)

Jonathan said...

I can easily look past people preaching a cappella is the only way. Especially if they do a decent job presenting their points. I don't think Jesus would really care, one way or the other.

What I have a harder time overlooking is people emotionally manipulating others, guilting them into taking their side. I think Jesus would have a lot to say about that attitude. And really, that was what I thought was out-of-line with that "adver-torial."

But you're right. It's been said and done. Moving on.

Murray Sanderson said...

I so appreciate your heart, Jonathan. Thanks for your comments.
And I just want to say Hello again to my good friend Jenni T! Thanks for reading.