Monday, August 27, 2007

Thoughts and Bad Reaction to ad in Christian Chronicle

Here's a funny saying David shared with us yesterday..."When I was growing up, we couldn't even afford to pay attention." I thought that was hilarious. You may have heard it before, but I never have. That was good.

David's message yesterday entitled "Crossing Over" (yes, from John 5:24) was very convicting and encouraging. Go to http://www.nccoc.org/ to listen if you need a boost. Toward the end of the sermon, he used a seires of contrasts to make his point...with his permission I reprint them here:

This eternal life now can be yours...

"not because you are good, but because God is good.
not because you went to church, but because Jesus went to the cross.
not because you came out of your old habits, but because Jesus came out of the tomb.
not because you shed your irreligious ways, but because Jesus shed his blood."

What a great reminder. Thank you David!

And for those of you who read the Christian Chronicle, if your reaction to the full-page ad on page 10 is anything like mine (sheer revulsion), then I encourage you to let the editor know. Bobby Ross is the editor, he's a great guy; he & his wife did a story on Fairfax in 2005 and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know them. But I just hate that they have to run ads like this...
Ok, if you don't have the paper in front of you, go to http://www.foracappella.org/ and just get a taste of it. Then email bobby.ross@christianchronicle.org and ask him to consider NOT running ads that are completely irrelevant and off-point to our mission in the kingdom of God. If they had merely encouraged people to sing without instruments and appreciate the joyful sound of voices singing together, then fine...but they present a cappella format as "the scriptural plan for the church", and I wholeheartedly disagree with that conclusion.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Wow! There are many times I'm glad I stopped paying attention to the Chronicle. This is most definitely one of them. I can say I don't think I've ever been more offended by a publication of Oklahoma Christian (or its partner organizations).

I did notice they had the words "paid advertisement" at the bottom of the page... I can almost here an apologetic tone in that. Surely they could have more discretion in what ads they print though. However, I did notice that Stafford North's name was all over the foracappella.org site... and he practically rules the whole university.

Thanks for posting the email address. I'm sure I'll find that handy. :-p