Monday, August 13, 2007

Heat Wave & New Worship Artist

We had a great trip to Charlottesville, VA for my cousin Stuart Burkhalter's (his last name is Eli's middle name) wedding. It was hot, but a great weekend. Stuart's new wife's family threw quite a party for a reception. The band was great, and in addition to enjoying a dance with each other, Jaime & I enjoyed dancing with Faithy as well. She loves music & dancing, so she was right at home. Seeing her enjoy herself is an incredible blessing I didn't know to anticipate as a father. I also got to play golf with my brother and my nephews who all live in Dallas. Those fun times always fly by... (Thanks Bennett for the coaching...and thank you God that the lightning didn't start until the 18th hole.)

Now back home in Indy, we're experiencing the city's 3rd worst heat wave on record. We've had the longest number of consecutive days at 90 degrees or higher in years, and the end is 5 days away at best. Oh well, I grew up in Memphis, lived for 13 years in Dallas, so this is no prob for me. But I keep thinking, THIS IS WHY I moved north of the Mason Dixon line...to get away from this weather. :)

Thanks to the "contemporary Christian" channel on our cable TV, I am discovering several new Christian artists. You must check out http://www.vickybeeching.com/ She is an up & coming new worship leader. Her song "The Wonder of the Cross" from her latest CD "Painting the Invisible" will be sung in churches everywhere really soon. Great song, great sentiment, powerful hook in the chorus. I can't wait to teach it to the NC praise team. She's a Starbucks fan as well, so it's no surprise that she writes good worship songs. ;) (I learned that from her blog...) There are actually several songs on this CD that I'd like to teach, so just stay tuned. It's not often that I listen to a song over & over, but when it happens, it's such a blessing. The Psalms talk over & over about singing a new song to the Lord, and I'm always discovering reasons why...one is that new music encourages us singers soooo much! I mean, I love "Just As I Am" which was the invitation song at Jaime's grandma's church service which we attended last night in Anderson, IN...but I love love love new expressions of praise as well.

I always put this, but it's true...my wife's blog is better (except for the fact that my picture is there right now...) www.murraysanderson.blogspot.com

5 comments:

Jill said...

glad to hear you had a nice trip! i just got back from my sister's wedding in california where it was 75 degrees...perfect weather! now i'm back in dallas and it is supposed to be 102 today and at least that hot for the next few days!! i'll have to check out the artist you mentioned...i always love hearing new music and learning the lyrics. take care!

Unknown said...

Uh, oh. Every time you talk about a new artist on your blog, I end up spending money on iTunes. Nelson seems to approve of Vicky's music; I opened her website, and he immediately walked over to the computer to look, and started grooving. And, it actually takes a lot to get this kid grooving (I guess he has a few too many of his Daddy's MHBS genes). :)

Jacque said...

Hey Murray - Vicky Beeching is great. She's a friend of a friend here in the UK and we sing a lot of her songs at St. Aldates. Enjoy!

Jonathan said...

Hmm, never heard of Vicky Beeching. Thanks for the tip!

Glad to hear things are still good in Indy. We're missing the lower temperatures humidity levels here in Dayton, too.

Ha, I still find it ironic that your wife's blog is MURRAYSANDERSON.blogspot.com... ;-)

Cyndi said...

I just bought the entire CD, and it is awesome!

Hope you are enjoying your new place - I am in New York and almost settled in the big City! Very exciting!