Friday, January 26, 2007

Auto Show / Blue Like Jazz

Ok, the 2007 Auto Show was terrific. Go to www.murraysanderson.blogspot.com in a few days to see pics of all the great cars...

Darla just sent me this quote about our motives for reaching out, getting the church to grow...from the book Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller...

(This guy was trying to plant a church)

“We didn’t grow much, to be honest. We stayed at about thirty or so, all Christians who had moved from other churches. One day the preacher showed up, saying he felt we all needed to repent and start living missional lives…he had just been to some pastors’ reception where a guy spoke about how the church has lost touch w/ people who don’t know about Jesus. He said we need to intentionally befriend people who are different from us. I didn’t like the sound of that, to be honest. I didn’t want to befriend somebody just to trick them into going to my church. Rick (the preacher) said he wasn’t talking about that. He said he was talking about loving people just because they exist---homeless people and Gothic people and gays and fruit nuts. And then I liked the sound of it. I liked the idea of loving people just to love them, not to get them to come to church. If the subject of church came up, I would tell them about it, but until then, who cared….lots of people started coming after that.” (they had 500 people in 2 yrs)

Quote is over, Murray again...

Before someone runs to the elders saying that I want us to teach that homosexuality is acceptable (see "gays" above), then please know that all this guy is talking about is that we show Jesus to all people, and let the Lord renew people's minds as they come to know Him. My sense is, Jesus was a friend of sinners...I don't know, call me crazy.

Great quote. Thanks Darla!

No comments: