Tuesday, January 23, 2007

"Do not mock the poor..." Tweeter's latest Ad campaign

First let me say, I'm a fan of the Colts, and most everything I know about Peyton Manning reveals that he is the highest caliber person. I was very impressed by the many mentions of God (gratitude to Him, giving glory to Him for the victory) in Sunday's post-game show by the Colt's owner and coach. (What an incredible game!) I'm really looking forward to watching the Colts beat the Bears on Feb 4th...

However...

I was offended by Tweeter's ad during the game in which Peyton Manning is the star spokesman (go to www.tweeter.com to watch the TV ad). I've purchased home video/audio goods from Tweeter before (in my wealthier single days!) and I've always gotten great service and quality products from them.

But I believe their campaign "Help us wipe out low def in our lifetime" is a mockery of the frequent poverty campaign slogan "Help us wipe out poverty in our lifetime." (that slogan has probably been used for AIDS, HIV, cancer, other seriously insurmountable issues) I, for one, would enjoy having HD over LD, and I have no problem with people getting it, or with ads to promote it. But when they put low def on a par with poverty, as a serious problem that needs to be eliminated, then I don't appreciate it, and I think it qualifies as mocking the poor.

Proverbs 17:5 says, "He who mocks the poor shows contempt for their Maker..."

I know, it's a tongue-in-cheek ad, but I still don't appreciate it. Did anyone else have that reaction? I told our church staff yesterday about my reaction, and NONE of them had a problem with it. So unless I'm a spiritual giant among them, maybe I'm being too sensitive...
The ads during these championship games/Superbowl are the best of the year, so I have high expectations of them. Maybe Tweeter can come up with a more positive way of promoting HD instead of comparing LD to poverty or other real crises.

Just for some positive PR on Peyton, here's a quick blurb I found on the foundation he established to help others:

The PeyBack Foundation would like to thank all the applicants that applied for grants this year. PeyBack received proposals from a wide variety of community agencies that believe strongly in helping underprivileged children. As the foundation continues to grow, we will be able to support more organizations each year. Since its inception in 1999, the PeyBack Foundation has donated more than $1,300,000 to a wide-variety of worthwhile causes. The PeyBack Foundation would like to thank everyone who has helped us fund these important programs.

No comments: